[rt-users] Re: Searching Attachments

Andrew J. Korty ajk at iu.edu
Wed Sep 3 08:54:09 EDT 2003

"G. Richard Bellamy" <rbellamy at pteradigm.com> writes:

> How long should it take to search attachments if my attachments table is
> only 608 rows?  Searching the attachments is timing out the 30 second
> FastCGI timeout.

I've had the same problem with:

        RT 3.0.5pre3
        PostgreSQL 7.3.4
        Apache 1.3.28
        mod_perl 1.27-r2

When I execute the search, a postmaster process seems to run just for
a few seconds.  Then an Apache process spins indefinitely.  But the
query never gets logged by PostgreSQL.

I don't know what the query is, but I tried

    SELECT * FROM attachments WHERE content LIKE '%search_term%';

It took over five minutes to complete, but that's on an attachments
table of 310,000 rows.  And at least it *did* complete--when I do the
search using RT's web interface, it seems to never complete.

--
Andrew J. Korty, Principal Security Engineer, GCIA, GCFA
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology