[rt-users] Perl install tips on FreeBSD 4.8?

Matt Barton matt at webexc.com
Fri Sep 12 11:50:29 EDT 2003

Mike Patterson wrote:

> I'm building a FreeBSD (4.8) box that will be a RT server.
>
> I did a minimal install and just cvsup'd all the ports.
> By default it comes with perl 5.005_03
> There is a 5.8 port (which RT 3.x needs).
>
> Should I just:
> cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 ; make clean ; make install
> or do I need to deinstall, upgrade, etc... the existing port?

Firstly, I would start using sysutils/portupgrade to install and upgrade
software in the FreeBSD Ports tree.  There have been a couple articles on
ONLamp about it.  Here's one.

	http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/4111

It makes your life much easier, but it is just a recommendation and not a
requirement.

To answer your question, you don't run "make deinstall" to remove the base
install of Perl in FreeBSD 4.x because it wasn't installed via Ports in the
beginning.

You simply need to run "make clean install" in the lang/perl5.8 directory
and then use the "use.perl" script (which is installed with the Port) to
adjust which version of Perl the system recognizes.

Also, RT3 is available via FreeBSD Ports at www/rt3; however, I have not
tried it.  I installed RT3 prior to the Port being made available, so I
haven't had the chance to mess with it.

	http://www.freshports.org/www/rt3/

Good luck.

--