[rt-users] web form ticket creation with customized fields

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Sep 15 18:35:08 EDT 2003

Hello,

We're working setting on a web form that will submit new tickets into
RT. Part of the project spec includes some additional fields, which I
believe hamper us from simply creating an e-mail based ticket that gets
created.

We are also collecting address and phone number information for the
submitor, as well as some fields which are custom to our queue.
I'm interested to know how others might have solved this, or ideas
you have for this case.

Here's what I'm thinking is a possible solution:

1. First we create a user just for the purpose of submitting these kinds
of tickets.

2. Using the WWW::Mechanize perl module (which works like a web
browser), we login as our user, and create the ticket in RT'ss web-based
interface, setting the requestor field to the e-mail address the user
gave, as well as the custom fields.

We could first search to see if this user exists. If not, the user could
be created, with the additional fields filled in.  If the user already
exists, I'm not inclined to automatically update their record.

3. Once the ticket is created, (still using WWW::Mechanize), we notice
the ticket number and proceed to update it, populating any fields that
weren't available in the ticket creation process. (I'm not sure what
these would be.)

Thanks for any suggestions

	Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark at summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .