[rt-users] mail-body encoding, can't use letters that's in iso-8859-1

Ruslan U. Zakirov cubic at acronis.ru
Fri Sep 19 12:04:29 EDT 2003

Realhost I/S - Rene Brask Sørensen wrote:

> Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
>
>>    Hello.
>> As I've understood RT3 store everything in UTF8 encoding in DB, but
>> could generate mails in other Encoding.
>> Thus you have to change default encoding in httpd.conf to
>> AddDefaultCharset UTF-8...
>>    Hopes this helps...
>

> Ahh ok, did'nt know that. But then rt have to translate everything all
> the time.

Nop. Only when RT get email and send email, but this feature allow RT
handle several encodings at the same time.

> What I don't understand is why you wan't me to change default charset
> i apache to utf8. I would like rt to display letters in iso-8859-1
> charset. Maybee I'm misunderstanding something here, but it would seem
> intuitive to set  "AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1".

Apache do not do any encoding conversions with this option, but set
specified encoding in response headers. You must set this option to
UTF-8 because of RT. RT output content to browser in UTF-8 and don't do
any encoding conversions. What is a problem with it? Your browser
doesn't support UTF?