[rt-users] Stop abusers

Funs Kessen funs.kessen at bbned.nl
Mon Sep 22 04:33:29 EDT 2003

Hi Stefan,

> Maybe i missed something, but isn't granting EVERYONE the right to CREATE
> TICKETS the only way to have tickets created via email - given
> you use RT as
> a support system where the whole world is allowed to send emails to?

Well it is one of the ways you could do it, there are other ways, you can
grant people on a cetain queue these rights and not on all your queues for
instance.... that will narrow down the problem quite a bit.

> i mean, if you use it to have tickets created via email, you
> basicaly never
> know who will email you, so you can't grant a person any rights - thus you
> grant it to EVERYONE.

If you modify the mailgateway (which I've done on previous implementations
in other companies), you can let it submit e-mails from people that are
"anonymous" via a known user on the system.
This is acutally quite simple, you then put the "customer" in the CC field,
and it is very simple to add a little blacklist to this system, or even
easier, make an "anonymous" ticket gateway and setup an htaccess base on IP
or user or whatever you like on it (a guy I know did this and it works
really nice).

> Or was your reply more of an academical nature?

What is your goal with this remark, as I do not fully understand ?

Cheers,

Funs