[rt-users] Performance issues - deleting attachments?

Barry Byrne barry.byrne at wbtsystems.com
Tue Sep 23 11:57:37 EDT 2003

Hi:

Using RT 3.0.4 here and having a lot of performance issues, particularly
where large attachments are included in a transaction. I'm getting
frustrated users who are seing 45 second response times to viewing a ticket
which has multiple attachments (perhaps a few MB in total), as opposed to
three second times for other tickets.

I've added indexes for all fields in the Attachment table except headers and
content, and this appears to have helped matters a little, however it would
seem to my mind, that keeping all email content parts (attachments and body
text) in the one table is very ineffecient, as the entire table needs to be
scanned including potentially many MBs or GBs of attachment data that
doesn't need to shown. Would it not make more sense to move (actual)
attachment to a separate table from non-attachments? Or perhaps even more
usefully, store attachments at file level rather than in the DB. Apologies,
if I'm totally off base with this the frustration levels are high!

In some tickets, I've ended up with the same attachement six or seven times,
since the system ran out of swap during the attachment submission, and
sendmail temp failed the mail, but RT managed to insert the attachment, and
then sendmail tried again a while later - going round in circles!

--
Barry Byrne, IT Manager,
WBT Systems, Block 2, Harcourt Centre

Phone:  +353 1 417 0150