[rt-users] Twist on "User could not be created: Email address in use"

Mike Patterson mikep at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 24 12:12:31 EDT 2003

I found a workaround for this situation that I wanted to share.

I have a common problem of trying to transform someone who was
autocreated by submitting an email into a priveleged user.
The typical fix for this is through WebRT is Configuration:Users:Select
Users and check the "include disabled users in search", search for their
email, and then make them a priveleged user.

However in my build this is broken (RT 3.0.3, Apache2.x, FastCGI, Perl
5.61, RedHat 7.3) and I probably shouldn't whine too much since I
wandered from the recommended and latest build. :-P

Using MySql I looked in the "Users" table to find the "Id" of my
autocreated by email user, in this case user I wanted to update had Id=210.
Upon browsing the "Groups" table I discovered that membership in group
5=unpriveleged and membership in group 4=priveleged.

Now I need to change all of my GroupId=5 to GroupId=4 where MemberId=210
in both the CachedGroupMembers and GroupMembers tables.

Note: look at the tables before running the update, MemberId=210 had
quite a few entries including some type of self-group membership
(GroupId=211).
So only change 5 to 4, for that MemberId, don't change any other
GroupId's for that MemberId.

Now that I've made this change, I can go to Configuration:Users:Select
and select my user and update them with a password, etc...