[rt-users] selecting tickets from queue

Dave Dennis dmd at speakeasy.org
Thu Apr 1 14:25:31 EST 2004

It looks like you're assuming that once I run one search to get a list of
tickets, that this is good enough to want to "update all tickets at once."
Or that subsequent "Refine search" would be able to determine enough from the
content of the mail or the time or the sender ... content-based judging.
Heuristics.

But this is not the case.

If the Refine search method works, you can do it.

But often one must in my situation close a bunch of tickets that are just
too diverse to be identified either by subject, or by content.  But the operator
(me) knows the tickets all must be closed.

And there's no way to search them out that isn't more work than doing it
one-by-one.

Unless there is a check-box to select.

Imagine if you have an email in-box.  And you see that 100 out of 400 are just
"we want to send them a follow-up."  But of those 100, no two really have the
same content.  Some might say "Send me more info" and others might say "I would
like to know more"

You might search for the word "more" in the content.  But that would also match
on requests that had the word 'more' in them referring to other things.

Sometimes the human eye is just better.  I can look at the list of 500 tickets,
and in 20 seconds identify the ones that need more info with a follow-up
email.  However, Refine Search would take me opening up every mail, learning
what it was about, and .. I wind up just replying to individuals mail one by
one, or at best by a handful at a time, by 'sender email' or simple things like
that.

But I cannot do that with RT currently, because there is no check-box next to
the individual Listing.html entries.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for asking,

+ Dave Dennis