[Rt-users] Custom Statuses

Michael S. Liebman m-liebman at northwestern.edu
Thu Apr 15 23:00:43 EDT 2004

At 03:53 PM 4/15/2004, Dave Dennis wrote:
>"sold" or "sent brochure" or "check cleared" or whatever
>as either subsets of or replacements for the ubiquitous
>and not-detailed-enough "resolved" as a ticket end-condition.

That screams custom field to me. You need to separate the workflow status
(new, open, closed, etc.) from the business status (sold, returned,
exchanged, etc.). Most ticketing systems tend to use an exclusive selection
field (radio buttons) for the status and provide a text field for the
resolution. RT choses to provide that text field as yet another
correspondence transaction. That's not to say you can't provide your own
resolution field in a custom field of your choosing.

>Am I barking uselessly with a bad workflow model or does
>that help explain and there's merit?

I think your on the right track but just need to adapt a little to how RT
works. To that end, I'm working on a patch to ticket/Update.html that will
display a custom field when the DefaultStatus is resolved. I think that
will go a long way to helping you based on your earlier messages.

Michael

Michael S. Liebman                      m-liebman at northwestern.edu
                 http://msl521.freeshell.org/
"I have vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
        -Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid"