[rt-users] Swedish characters

pdh at bestpractical.com pdh at bestpractical.com
Thu Apr 22 06:42:25 EDT 2004

[Speaking of malformed messages, please wrap lines at < 80 characters.]

Daniel Netz wrote:
> I've been looking for a fix for bad character conversions a long time
> now and we're still plagued by it in some emails. The "???" characters
> sometimes turns to "??????" for no apparent reason, even when they're sent
> from the same Exchange server. It seems initial emails are ok, but as soon
> as someone replies to an email sent from RT, this occurs. We're running
> RT 3.0.10 on Gentoo Linux and perl-5.8.3 (upgraded from 5.8.2 yesterday
> with no luck) and MySQL 4.0.18. EmailOutputEncoding in RT_Siteconfig.pm
> is "iso-8859-1". This is a serious showstopper for us, I hope you got
> any ideas on how to solve it.

Did you rebuild mod_perl against the new version of perl?

> On another note, howcome RT chose to handle emails all by itself
> instead of simply polling a POP3/IMAP account? It's creating lots of
> overhead work when installing RT (together with exhange servers and other
> email gateways) and maybe it is a factor in this whole encoding problem
> business. It's also preferable to only have one mailserver to worry about.

You can always use fetchmail and inject directly into the
rt-mailgate. However you do need some method of sending mail
back out of RT, and reinventing an MTA within RT wouldn't
make an awful lot of sense at all.