[rt-users] problem with rt-3.2.1 & oracle.

Joop van de Wege JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Mon Aug 2 16:55:14 EDT 2004

> Just having a prob creating the schema on a non-local oracle database.
> I have had this working before with a local database, so it's probably
> something obvious that I'm missing.. - but since moving the db onto
> another box it's a no go. It lookslike it's not seeing the
> --with-db-host, but the correct host is appearing in RT_Config.
>
> ./configure --prefix=/export/rt/rt-3.2.1 --with-db-type=Oracle
> --with-db-host=rtdbhost  --with-db-dba=RTUSER  --with-db-database=RTDB
> --with-db-rt-user=RTUSER  --with-db-rt-pass=rtpass
> --with-web-user=httpd --with-web-group=httpd
>
> [configure and make install run without error]
>
>  make initialize-database
> /usr/bin/perl //export/rt/rt-3.2.1/sbin/rt-setup-database --action
> init --dba rtuser --prompt-for-dba-password
> In order to create a new database and grant RT access to that database,
> this script needs to connect to your Oracle instance on rtdbhost as RTUSER.
> Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no database
> password, just press return.
>
> Password: DBI connect('RTDB','RTUSER',...) failed: ORA-12541: TNS:no
> listener (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach) at
> //export/rt/rt-3.2.1/sbin/rt-setup-database line 80
> Failed to connect to dbi:Oracle:RTDB as RTUSER: ORA-12541: TNS:no
> listener (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach) at
> //export/rt/rt-3.2.1/sbin/rt-setup-database line 80, <STDIN> line 1.
> *** Error code 255
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `initialize-database'
Are you sure ORACLE_SID is set correctly and that you have an entry in
your TNSNAMES.ORA pointing to your new db server?
Please provide more data on what is your Oracle client, how did you
install
My guess is that -with-db-host isn't needed with Oracle since all the
needed data is in the tnsnames.ora or whatever Oracle db resolver you
use, could be Oracle Names or something else.
Check that you're running your Oracle listener process on your database
machine and that you instance you're referring to is running.

I have both RT2 and RT3 (3.2.1) running against Oracle on different
machines from the webserver so it can work but the big problem most of
the time is getting your Oracle stuff sorted out.

Joop
.

--
Joop van de Wege <JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl>