[rt-users] Recommended hardware

Justin C. Sherrill webmaster at rochester.rr.com
Tue Aug 3 16:26:33 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 03:44 pm, Rick Rezinas wrote:

> Is there much value in multiple CPU's?
> I've seen RAM stated as pretty key to performance on this list.
> Any recommendations regarding disk I/O?
>
> Obviously, I'd like to purchase the biggest baddest box available, but
> this project is fairly skunkworks so my budget's not that great.

My experience is RAM is most important, followed by disk speed/reliability.

If you have frequent tape backups, don't worry about disk so much.  If you
don't have frequent backups, hardware RAID that mirrors the disk(s) may be a
good idea in case a disk blows out.  Otherwise, you will lose all ticket
data, new or handled, since the last backup.