[rt-users] Re: Performance issues with RT3 (all versions)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Aug 4 18:11:57 EDT 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 02:09, Nate Duehr wrote:
>

>>Athlon 2500, 512MB RAM (PC2700), Dual 7200 RPM IDE disks on opposite IDE
>>controllers (hdparm -t says the buffered read speed from the md device
>>wanders from 8 MB/s to 12 MB/s... haven't ever bothered with any bonnie++
>>tests.)
>>

>That's pretty slow for modern equpment.  I usually see 60+MB on single
>or software-mirrored scsi and 40-60MB on IDE (don't have
>any raided IDE...).  Be sure you have good 80-wire cables and
>you see something like:
>hda: 195371568 sectors (100030 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=12161/255/63,
>UDMA(100)
>in dmesg.
>
>That may not be the real problem, but it is something you
>should be able to improve.

Oh definitely.  I knew those were horrible numbers.  I'm not the one
having performance issues, Jon is.  ;-)

RT is "fast enough" for me and my users on even that dog slow Athlon
pig.  (GRIN)

That's why I was posting was to give Jon something to compare to as I
have never seen any published performance numbers anywhere.  Perhaps
they're in the WiKi but WiKi-hunting drives me batty... would much
prefer a real manual to a wiki any day... call me old-fashioned.

Nate