[rt-users] RT features and RT database

Tomas A. P. Olaj tomas.olaj at usit.uio.no
Tue Aug 10 08:30:00 EDT 2004

1)
If I want to update users in the RT database (in our case a
PostgreSQL database) using a script (e.g. Python with Postgres
functions) internally in the database, can I do it without affecting other
parts of the RT system?

E.g. using LDAP authentication (if the user doesn't exist, the RT
creates a new account with the correct username)  and incomming requests
from valid users through e-mail (also creates a default user in RT if the
user doesn't exist - but with the e-mail address as the username instead
of the given university unix account username).

Using a script to update and correct userinfo in the internal RT database
is necessary.

2)
Has anyone created scripts that gives out autorisation in the RT?

3)
Can a user have multiple e-mail addresses? E.g. an existing user can send
requests from different e-mail accounts. It could be necessary to collect
and "bind" e-mail addresses to the same user, to prevent double accounts
to appear.

4)
Good referenses to deal with spam in RT (that would say after externally
filtered out spam in the e-mail system). A spam e-mail will trigger an
automatic answer to the sender. That's not preferred.

5)
Closing requests: is there a soft close/hard close support in RT? A user
can re-open a case which has been closed with a simple message like:
"thanks for helping!".

Hope someone has time for answering or pointing out good documentation.

regards,
Tomas