[rt-users] Two questions about RT 3.2.1

Mike Friedman mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Aug 17 15:54:40 EDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 at 11:18 (-0700), Robert Spier wrote:

>> I've been using the 'updated' field in my perl scripts in 2.0.15. Now I
>> see it doesn't exist in 3.2.1, even though there's an 'Updated' field
>> that shows on the web interface ticket display.
>
> 2.0 and 3.x have ticket searching internals that are quite different.
> Expecting things to work identically between them is expecting a little
> too much.

Robert,

I don't expect the new RT to work the same as the old.  That's why I've
been trying to get enough information so that I can convert my scripts.

> The "Updated" field on the web interface ticket display is a display
> thing, not a real field.  It shows when the last Transaction was and who
> created that transaction.

But I don't see a 'last transaction' field either when I use the CLI.
There doesn't seem to be a field that would tell me the time of the last
change (of any type) to a ticket.

>> I'm trying to see how to convert my perl scripts that are written for
>> 2.0.15 to 3.2.1.  The scripts currently use the 'rt' CLI, so the
>> easiest thing for me seems to be to convert to the 'rt' command in
>> 3.2.1, even though I'd actually prefer using the API, but the
>> documentation for that is minimal so that would take longer.
>
> The CLI's are very different too.

But at least 'rt help' does seem to document the CLI (except for some of
the details about query strings).  As for the API:  using perldoc on each
of the perl library routines still leaves a lot to be desired as far as
documentation is concerned.  In particular, exact calling sequences and
return codes/values for all the methods would be much appreciated.  Even
some coding examples would help.

As it is, I'm going to have to spend quite a bit of time just to find out
if I can even do the same things that I currently do (on 2.0.15) with the
CLI interface.

Mike

Mike Friedman                             System and Network Security
mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU                    2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                            University of California at Berkeley
http://ack.Berkeley.EDU/~mikef            http://security.berkeley.edu