[rt-users] debian & multiple RT - sanity check

Mark D. Nagel mnagel at willingminds.com
Wed Dec 1 20:16:21 EST 2004

I've reviewed the archives and found a few threads discussing ways to
have multiple RT instances using the Debian request-tracker package, but
pretty much they all seem to indicate that your second instance must be
non-packaged.  After looking through everything, it seems to me that I
could get away with using the single package if I use FastCGI, create a
copy of RT.pm with alternate paths as appropriate and make a copy of
webmux.pl referencing this alternate RT.pm as well as a copy of
mason_handler.fcgi referencing the webmux.pl copy.  Other than the fact
that this now requires me to merge in changes in those particular files
as I update the main package, does anyone see any particular problems
going this route?

Another idea I had that definitely needs a sanity check -- could it
possibly work to create an RT_Local.pm with some logic that overrides
the necessary variables based on the instance of the target server?
Would it be reasonable to check $ENV{HTTP_HOST} or $ENV{SERVER_NAME}
within RT_Local.pm to dynamically adjust those things that need to be
changed for the specific instance?  I am assuming again that I'm using
FastCGI, so I don't care if that solution isn't portable to mod_perl
(which couldn't work anyway).

Thanks,
Mark

--