[rt-users] Inefficient query generation? (RT 3.2.2)

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Dec 16 16:47:54 EST 2004

> I tried RT 3.2.3rc1 and also tied SearchBuilder 1.16 with the same
> results.  RT seems to generate the same SQL query.
>
> The thing that seems to be really slowing down this query is the OR.  If
> you were to generate a nested query I think this can be much faster.
> Unfortunately only MySQL 4.1 supports subqueries.

It's actually pretty easy to reformulate the query to be intelligent
without resorting to subqueries. If you folks have the dev resources to
fix it up, I'd greatly appreciate a patch.  It should be the case that
one user performing an overly complex query doesn't take down your entire
database. It would certainly be possible to add functionality to limit
the complexity of user searches, but so far, we've found that it's more
effective to spend that effort improving the query builder to better
handle what users want to search for.

	Best,
	Jesse