[rt-users] Mod_FastCgi and RT

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Dec 21 12:02:38 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 16:46, Rich West wrote:

> Well, I dug further, and recompiled the custom modules that we utilize
> (mod_auth_ldap2 and mod_fastcgi) to use the newer version of the web
> server.  We're pretty stuck on mod_fastcgi 2.4.0 because 2.4.2 does not
> support running FastCgiServer processes within VirtualHosts (who thought
> disabling that was a good idea?!).

I'm running a current FC2 with mod_fastcgi 2.4.2 (which I think came
from (http://www.wesmo.com/redhat/i386/mod_fastcgi-2.4.2-1.i386.rpm),
thanks, and it is running in a virtualhost with no problem.

> So, if I disable the FastCgiServer processes (just commenting them out)
> and start up the server, everything comes up just fine..  If I have the
> FastCgiServer processes enabled, then 2 or 3 of forked web server
> processes run as apache, the rest run as root..

Oh - you have more than one RT instance...  What happens if you only
run one?  My FastCgiServer statement is in the global section but the
scriptalias and AddHandler that invoke it are in a virtualhost.

> Is this just us?! Could this be kernel related?  I've personally been
> using RT with mod_fastcgi for ages.. it is just plain odd that it has
> tanked out on us like this.

You may be the only one running multiple instances of RT in one httpd.

> I'm thinking of moving back from mod_fastcgi to mod_perl...

That will be even worse - you can't load different versions of the same
libraries at the same time in mod_perl.   The only clean way to do it is
to run multiple httpd instances.   You can hide the fact that you've
done that by moving the ones running mod_perl to different ports and
running an non mod_perl httpd on port 80 using ProxyPass or RewriteRule
and ProxyPassReverse to dispatch requests to the correct server.

---
   Les Mikesell
     les at futuresource.com