[rt-users] My RT is too slow

Kevin Murphy murphy at genome.chop.edu
Tue Feb 3 10:41:24 EST 2004

Wilson,

As someone pointed out to me once, a good way to search the list
archives is to do a google search for

[site:lists.fsck.com RT slow]  (or performance, or sluggish, or
whatever)

In general, "the list helps those who help themselves", so you really
have to do some footwork yourself first.

Some people would probably like to help you, but not many are expert
enough to do so, and it would take a lot of time to go through all the
possibilities with you.  Personally, I'm not even sure what the
possibilities are: I would have to search the list archives, etc,
myself.   I don't know how much you know, but there's a lot of sysadmin
and apache admin knowledge that comes into play here.  I have only a
little of it.

One question is: how much memory does this box have?  mod_perl apps can
use a lot.   Related to this question is, how many apache children are
running?  Each one is huge and fat with perl and perl modules.   What
else is this apache server doing?  If the same apache server is used to
serve  a lot of static content, you may have excessive memory usage
because perl-equipped processes are being wasted on serving static
pages.  In such cases, it's best to have two entirely separate
instances, with the static page server not having mod_perl but instead
reverse proxying to the mod_perl instance.   Other Q's: When you do
'top' or 'top -u', what is consuming a lot of cpu?  mysql?  httpd?
both?  Is there paging going on (memory-related question)?  vmstat pi
and po columns nonzero mean paging - not enough physical memory in the
machine (if you have vmstat).

I have to get a release out the door today, so that's all I can help
with today; sorry.

-Kevin Murphy