[rt-users] Sub Queues

Cerion Armour-Brown cerion at terpsichore.ws
Tue Feb 10 09:26:29 EST 2004

I seeeee... hmm, I'm now realising ignorance was bliss!

On Monday 09 February 2004 21:54, Michael S. Liebman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 06:35:47PM +0100, Cerion Armour-Brown wrote:
> > Does anyone out there have any examples that would clarify how to set up
> > / maintain a multi-project system?
>
> It is generally a bad idea to have queues, which are essentially
> permanent objects, for a specific project. (If you listen to the
> worshipers of project management theory, a project by definition is
> time limited.) Tickets have a time related state (open or closed),
> while queues just are (to be a little metaphysical about it).
metaphysical is good - we like metaphysical!

> Within the RT scheme, it is probably best to take advantage of ticket
> links. Create a ticket for the project. Then create child or depends
> on tickets for the different components of the project. You can even
> go to the extreme of creating children tickets of the different
> components for specific work packages, activities or tasks. You can
> use custom fields to categorize your tickets in a queue to make
> searching easier.
> HTH,
> Michael

This is enlightening! - as was Zakirov's mail
However (there's always an however :), I fail to see the big advantage of
having the 'parent' tickets at the head of the queue, given:
1) I think I'll _need_ CFs to differentiate the projects ticket types
 - so this seems like duplication of effort.
2) its not possible to search on 'parent ticket = ' ???
Or am I still missing something?

I had a go at setting up rt, as Zakirov and yourself suggested:
various queues -> all project tickets, differentiated with CFs
... And was a little frustrated at having to repeat the CF setup for all
queues.
Is there no way to copy CFs from other queues?

Much appreciated,
Cerion