[rt-users] Postfix + RT3 Guide

Guillaume Perréal perreal at lyon.cemagref.fr
Tue Feb 10 09:32:11 EST 2004

>When I try to send messages to user at server.domain.com I get a bounce message
>from my main mail server mail.domain.com reporting "Unknown Recipient"
>(mail.domain.com is running Exchange 5.5).

As your main mail server (mail.domain.com) handles mail for the whole
domain domain.com, it may strip any subdomain parts, i.e.
user at server.domain.com becomes user at domain.com. So you have to
explicitely enable mail forwarding to rt-server. You may have to create
the following aliases on your main mail exchanger :

rt-address : rt-address at rt-server.domain.com
(reads "rt-user@*.domain.com redirects to rt-user at rt-server.domain.com,
without recursion")
rt-address-comment : rt-address-comment at rt-server.domain.com

Then set up the mailgate aliases normally on rt-server.domain.com, as
indicated in RT documentation.

> I also seem to be unable to send
>messages off the server.

Try to set up the following parameters in postfix main.cf file :

# Only relay mails originating from $mydestination ($myhostname +
localhost by default) :
mynetworks_style = host

# Relay all outgoing mails to $mydomain mail exchangers as indicated by
DNS MX records,
relayhost = $mydomain

You can also checks your /var/log/maillog file on the unix box to trace
mail routing.

--
Guillaume Perréal.

Responsable informatique,