[rt-users] Sub Queues

Cerion Armour-Brown cerion at terpsichore.ws
Thu Feb 12 11:38:18 EST 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 20:34, Michael S. Liebman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:26:29PM +0100, Cerion Armour-Brown wrote:
> > This is enlightening! - as was Zakirov's mail
> > However (there's always an however :), I fail to see the big advantage of
> > having the 'parent' tickets at the head of the queue, given:
>
> The big advantage is a recorded definition of relationships between a
> project and it's activities.
>
> > 1) I think I'll _need_ CFs to differentiate the projects ticket types
> >  - so this seems like duplication of effort.
>
> That's only a searching convinience. "I'm a tech writer, find me all
> documentation activities." You could also accomplish it by making sure
> a string like "DOCS:" is in the subject of every documentation
> activity. TMTOWTDI.
>
> > 2) its not possible to search on 'parent ticket = ' ???
> > Or am I still missing something?
>
> Why search for parent ticket == at all? Just search for the parent ticket
> and have a look in the links section of the ticket display. The links there
> are actually <a> tags so click away from there to get to the children.

Hmm. I can see the usefulness, particularly because CF's in a queue wouldn't
be good past one level, e.g.
Bug queue
 - ProjX -> Module_a, Module_b
 - ProjY -> Module_r, Module_s
So we could make a CF for 'Projects', but not 'Modules' (we could, but v.
messy)
Hence group with parent tickets instead.

But _only_ a searching convenience?!
As you say, you could get to the tickets via the parent, but that precludes
any other searching on those tickets.
How could I then say:
"Find all open bugs under project_x, module_a, under my ownership"
?

thanks again,
Cerion