[rt-users] rt-mailgate problem with 'SSLVerifyClient require'

Cerion Armour-Brown cerion at terpsichore.ws
Thu Feb 19 19:58:49 EST 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 16:31, Cerion Armour-Brown wrote:
> On Thursday 19 February 2004 15:51, Jeff Minelli wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 11:49, Cerion Armour-Brown wrote:
> > > I'm having trouble with rt-mailgate and ssl...
> > > I should first say that I've got RT up and working, with ssl, as long
> > > as no client certificate is required.  Both email and the web
> > > interfaces work fine.
> > >
> > > However, as soon as I set (in httpd.conf)
> > > SSLVerifyClient require
> > > SSLVerifyDepth  1
> > > ...I can't get mail through to the webserver anymore.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
> >
> > Before I make any assumptions, are you really using client certificate
> > authentication?
> > -jeff
>
> Yep - I need this to run over the internet.
>
> I would have thought it was possible to set up apache so it didn't require
> client certs from localhost... but I don't even know if I'm asking the
> right questions!
> Cerion

Ok, I give up...
Unless someone has some other suggestion, I'm just going to let apache listen
to both port 80 and 443, and firewall off port 80.
Horrible, I know, but this allows me to 'require' a client certificate on
https, but still let rt-mailgate connect via http...

Suuurrrely there has to be a better way?

Is there really no-one out there with 'client certs required', who has also
managed to get rt-mailgate working?

Many thanks,
Cerion