[rt-users] RT on gentoo

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Fri Feb 20 14:12:36 EST 2004

Dan Simoes scripted ::

>I'm having a hard time getting RT to install on a gentoo system.  If
>anyone has any guidance, please let me know.  I know there is no
>ebuild (portage) for gentoo except for a half-baked one from July or
>so.  I used RT a few years back and don't recall it being this hard
>to get going, but I'm looking forward to using it again.  Thanks.

I just did it and I (flickerfly) was largely involved in that
half-baked version (it was pretty bad). Just too many depends. That's
one of the few failings of Portage IMHO. They don't seem to want to
integrate it with CPAN and they don't keep the modules up-to-date.
Eventually I'll learn enough of something to get it done for myself.

Your best bet is to just use CPAN and get what you need from there.
Gentoo doesn't have the right versions of thing and if you do get some
installed, you'll be consistently asked to downgrade until they get
them, which for most hasn't happened for almost a year now.

If you read the README on RT, there is a script that will check
depends and install what it can't find. There was one I had to do in
CPAN manually. I also had to use Apache 1.3 and mod_perl 1.27, but I
got both out of Portage after some convincing. RT and Perl Mods are
the only thing I did outside of Portage.

Anyway, it's very possible. I've actually had it running on three
different Gentoo systems at this point. I've put issues in and out. I
haven't been terribly deep in my testing, but no problems. I'm working
on getting Exchange to keep from blocking messages to postfix on my
network and than get NT Domain/AD Authentication working and this'll
be ready for handling real work.

It's been kinda a side project until last week or so.

JSR/