[rt-users] rt2 SendmailArguments only honors first argument?

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Tue Feb 24 12:04:03 EST 2004

It appears that in rt2 the $RT::SendmailArguments only honors the first
argument given it.

We got notice from some idiot ISP that they block all messages with
SMTP sender www@<anything> in the theory that it is some sort of
infected machine.  Right.  So I needed to change the sender of all RT
originated messages, since the web server runs as user www.

My first try was this:

$SendmailArguments="-oi -f$CorrespondAddress";

That is, I just added -f$CorrespondAddress to the existing "-oi".

However, the sender address reported in the mail logs was still www@
which seemed strange.  So then I tried this:

$SendmailArguments="-f$CorrespondAddress -oi";

Now suddenly the sender address was reported properly.  However, I'm
afraid that the -oi flag may be ignored, which could potentially cause
problems.  Yes, I *did* stop and restart the httpd between every config
file change.  My mailer is postfix, in case it happens to be a
difference between Sendmail brand "sendmail" and postfix' "sendmail".

I haven't looked into how RT3 handles the sending of mail, but if it is
still using MIME::Entity->send() as inherited from Mail::Internet and
Mail::Mailer, I suspect it will also suffer this problem.  It appears
to me that perhaps SendmailArguments should be split into an array
rather than being copied into $RT::MailParams verbatim.  I haven't
tested this theory, though.

Anyone else run into anything similar?