[rt-users] RT customization fields

Michael S. Liebman m-liebman at northwestern.edu
Tue Feb 24 12:37:23 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:14:56AM -0500, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> Just curious: How does Severity and Priority differ? I would think
> that they would be linked in such a way that they don't ever separate
> and that this is therefore a pointless endeavor, but watching this and
> other lists constantly stretches my understanding of things. I sense
> such an experience here.

Severity is usually regarded as the customer's perspective on just how
bad something is. Priority is often the internal assignment of working
order. You may work on customer A's medium severity issue before you
work on customer B's high severity issue because customer A has a
faster response SLA than customer B.

HTH,
Michael
Michael S. Liebman                      m-liebman at northwestern.edu
                  http://msl521.freeshell.org/
"I have vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
        -Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid"