[rt-users] problem with rt2-to-rt3 upgrade

Myra Chachkin myra at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Jan 2 13:52:24 EST 2004

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

I'm having trouble with the rt2-to-rt3 upgrade, and I haven't seen my
particular problem mentioned on the list.

I'm upgrading from:

  SunOS 5.7
  postgres 7.2.2
  perl 5.6.1
  apache 1.3.27
  mod_perl 1.27
  RT 2.0.15

To two machines:

  FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT
  postgres 7.3.4

  FreeBSD 5.2-BETA
  perl 5.8.2
  apache 2.0.48
  mod_perl 1.99r10 (I know, I've been warned...)
  RT 3.0.7
  postgres 7.3.4 frontend
  RT 2.0.15 libraries (for the export/import scripts)

The new RT frontend comes up fine.  My problem is with the rt-2.0-to-dumpfile
and dumpfile-to-rt-3.0 scripts (I have version 1.20 of both scripts).

When I first tried rt-2.0-to-dumpfile, it had problems with many tickets
with binary attachments.  It would reach one of these tickets and hang.
I marked these 'dead' in the RT2 db and set "$export_dead = 0" so the
script would skip them, and eventually got through the entire export
successfully.

But, at one point when I'd unloaded almost 2,000 tickets (before hitting a
problem ticket), I went ahead and tried the dumpfile-to-rt-3.0 script.
After adding "BEGIN { $Storable::interwork_56_64bit = 1; }", it worked fine.

Since then, I've been unable to import the additional 4,000 tickets in the
RT2 db.  I don't see any errors from the script -- it announces each ticket
number as usual.  It takes just as long (really long!)  to process the new
tickets as the old ones.  And there are no errors in the postgres log.  But,
nothing is inserted into the database.

I've completely dropped and re-installed the RT3 db (using the
rt-setup-database script), and I've tried running rt-2.0-to-dumpfile with the
"since" option.  I think I even re-installed the entire RT3 port.  I see the
users, groups, queues, and first 2,000 tickets re-imported into the clean
database when I re-run the script, but not the remaining tickets.  I must be
missing something really obvious...?

Thanks very much for any advice.
Myra