[rt-users] RE: RT 3.0.8

John Schubert jschubert at linearcorp.com
Mon Jan 5 07:18:10 EST 2004

> I always install RT into a fresh directory, in this case, rt-3.0.8, and
> then update
>
> 1) httpd.conf
> 2) /etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate
> 3) /etc/aliases
> 4) etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm
>
> to point to the new version.
>
> I do a diff between the old and new unmodified etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm to see
> if there's any new options that I need to take into account.
>
> If there's a problem, it's easy to back down to the previous
> version.
>
> It's a little more work, but pretty safe this way.

Blair,
Thanks!  I like your approach, so that's the way I'll do it.  I have a
long background of military and telecom "operations", so having a
back-out plan (and doing upgrades outside of business hours) is very
important to me for platform stability reasons.  I'll just add steps to
"cp httpd.conf httpd.last.working.conf" (etc).  Doing more prep work
before an upgrade is time well spent in my book, so I don't mind the
extra work.

John