RT Install Locations and symlinks (was Re: [rt-users] RE: RT 3.0.8)

MAS rt at mas.ml1.net
Tue Jan 6 07:42:04 EST 2004

--On 05 January 2004 11:50 -0800 Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:

>> From John Schubert <jschubert at linearcorp.com>
<snip>
>> When you recompile, is there a way to back out if things go wrong?
>
> I always install RT into a fresh directory, in this case, rt-3.0.8, and
> then update
>
> 1) httpd.conf
> 2) /etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate
> 3) /etc/aliases
> 4) etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm
>
> to point to the new version.

I'm looking into doing this with a symlink, so my installation would look
like this:

$ ls -l
drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root         4096 Nov  5 14:06 rt-3.0.6
drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root         4096 Nov 24 18:10 rt-3.0.7
drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root         4096 Jan  5 11:11 rt-3.0.8
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Jan  6 09:45 rt3 -> rt-3.0.8/

But I can't get it to work. When I point apache at the symlinked
directory, I get a 404 error, but when I poing it at the real directory
it works fine.

I've got the FollowSymlinks option on for the appropriate directory, I
think; in fact, I turned it on for everything with

<Directory />
  Options FollowSymlinks
</Directory>

and that still doesn't work.

Is there something obvious I'm missing, or is this not possible for some
reason?

thanks!

mike