[rt-users] Customising RT

Jan Algermissen jalgermissen at topicmapping.com
Mon Jan 12 12:27:12 EST 2004

Adam--

some hints from working with RT a couple of months.

Adam Kuznesof wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My company has been looking for a new support system and RT looks excellent.  However, we need to be able to manage users across organisations and contracts against organisations.  To this end we would like to modify RT and take advantage of the following mentioned features:
>
> *  RT's entire web interface is built on a flexible templating system that lets you build your own web-based tools or alter RT's look and feel to better fit your organization.

The Web interface is based on Mason, check out Mason's documentation. Adjusting the Web
interface seems quite easy as the code is really clear and simple.

> *  If you don't want to radically change RT's interface, you can add your own components to RT's pages. A web callback system lets you drop miniature templates into RT's web pages.

This refers to the template part of scrips. If you come to that point, feel free to ask me
again on the list or in private then I'll give you some examples.

> *  If you need even more power, "Code overlays" let you customize RT's internal behaviour without touching RT's core libraries.

Many classes in RT allow you to add customized behavior by providing certain 'Overlay classes'. I
have not done this, but having a good Perl programmer skim through the perldoc's of
rt3/lib/RT/ should give you a good idea.

> However, I haven't found any documentation on the above.  I am currently trying to trawl through the code to get understanding of how to use a "code overlay" or a "miniature template".  I have read the FAQ, README and the user documentation provided and I don't believe it describes how to customise RT.  Please can someone point me in the right direction.

Can you explain what the nature of your needs is? Can you give some examples of what you
want to do?

Hope that helps a bit.

Jan

Jan Algermissen                           http://www.topicmapping.com