[rt-users] rt2-to-rt3 fails

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Mon Jan 12 16:13:35 EST 2004

On Jan 12, 2004, at 4:02 PM, Craig Schenk wrote:

> The only things in the mailing list archive I see about rt2-to-rt3
> memory
> failures dont mention anything about perl 5.6... The only thing
> relating to

The one thing many people forget is that just because your system has
2GB of physical memory doesn't mean that your process is allowed to use
all of it.  In fact, it would be really bad if the OS let you do that.

You are most likely running up against process size limits.  You need
to investigate how to increase those limits for your shell before
running the command that is using up all the resources.  Usually this
is with the 'limit' or 'ulimit' command to the shell.  Of course, there
may be a hard system-imposed limit you cannot increase without system
administrator assistance.