[rt-users] rt2-to-rt3 fails

John Schubert jschubert at linearcorp.com
Mon Jan 12 08:45:47 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 20:54, Aleš Sušnik wrote:
> Upgrade to 5.8.x.
>
> Search the archives of the mailing list, this has been mentioned many times!
> Just a few days ago someone had problems with rt2-to-rt3 and was also
> running perl 5.6.x.

OK, I know I'm probably creating flame bait here, but I'd like to try
and make a difference, one list at a time :-)

Instead of saying:
 Read the FAQ, read the archives, etc

Give a specific reference.  If the reply is that it's easy to find in
the FAQ or archive, then copy/paste the link to it!  It saves the
ensuing E-mail volley of "I did", "Where is the archive" "Its not the
same", etc

I've been in technical support (1st, 2nd, and 3rd Tier) for at least 8
or 9 years now as a technician/engineer/manager, and despite the fact
almost every inquiry we get is in the manual/method of procedure (MOP),
we still show people how to find the answer.  As well as reading it to
them over the phone/via email/fax/whatever.  Granted, it is easier to be
callous via E-mail but given the fact that OSS is supposed to be
community-based it makes sense that we'd be MORE supportive than our M$
brethren.

I run a supporting website that allows people to share PCM files, so
that they can re-program their 4th Gen Camaros/Firebirds (LT1/LS1
Edit).  At least several times a week, I get an Email asking "Do you
have XXX file?"  I give them a link to the specific file, as well as the
webpage which contains a link to it from an index.  I could just say
"Read my website", but what good does that do?

I know I'm probably not popular with this opinion, but oh well...
<flamesuit tag="on">
John
</flamesuit>
PS.  Don't get me started on "Just upgrade" responses, either... *cough*
M$ *Cough*