[rt-users] [OT] Confidentiality notices

Jamie Lawrence rtusers-lists-fsck-com at jal.org
Tue Jan 20 21:45:43 EST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> And the enforcability of confidentiality
> notices in unsolicited email messages is highly suspect. It's one thing
> to manually insert it into sensitive correspondence. It's another to tag
> mail sent to publically archived mailinglists with it.

Highly suspect indeed, if by highly suspect, you mean "completely
unenforcable and legally useless absent a prior agreement between
parties".

Those dumb little notices are only there because corporate lawyers hope
it will scare people who don't know any better into deleting things when
they fat finger thier keyboard.

One of my domains gets a lot of misdirected mail from a rather large
airline, complete with variants on those notices, and I usually reply to
them to let them know they screwed up, and mention something
about how I archive everything for my records and might put them online
someday. Some people have gotten amusingly upset by that...

-j

Jamie Lawrence                                        jal at jal.org
"... in making the freedom-for-safety swap, we haven't just dishonored
the dead of 9/11.  We've helped something else die too."
   - Nick Gillespie