[rt-users] son of httpd speed on rt3

Kevin Murphy murphy at genome.chop.edu
Wed Jan 21 19:49:17 EST 2004

All this talk about performance has got me interested in it again.  It
would be nice if RT were a bit snappier.

Searches such as "show all tickets from queue X that are new or open"
take 3-4 seconds on our dual 1.3 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Mac OS X 10.2.8 box
(Perl 5.8.3, PostgreSQL 7.3.4, Apache 1.3.29, mod_perl to match, RT
3.0.8, DBIx::SearchBuilder 0.96, well-vacuumed DB with all recommended
indexes added, and no load at time of test).  Our database has a measly
789 tickets, 34 users, 9 queues, 2 groups, and almost never has
simultaneous accesses.

Does this performance sound about right to people?  Would switching to
MySQL be worthwhile?  (We don't use postgres for anything else, as it
turns out).

The above search translates into 176 database accesses, including 172
queries, the sum of whose durations is 1.076 seconds, according to the
postgres log.  Also according to the PG log, these queries span a
little more than 3 seconds, so there's more than 2 additional seconds
to account for;  I can see httpd/perl using a lot of CPU in 'top'.  The
SQL queries in the log are mysterious to me, but they seem to be doing
a bunch of permissions-type checks.

I realize that RT's great features necessarily impose significant
overhead, but I'd like to be reassured that nothing is wrong with my
installation.

Thanks for any insight.

-Kevin