[rt-users] Bulk Load Performance Problem

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 27 10:12:23 EST 2004

I've written a bulk-load script for loading user info in RT(3) and have a
strange performance issue.

My tests have been loading 6,000 users into an empty RT mysql database
using the RT API. The first 500 users take 4 minutes. From then on
each batch of 500 users created takes progressively longer - the
last 500 users takes 1 hr, 13 minutes to load!

I am using the RT API's transactions with commits every 500 creations.

One odd thing is that when I run the program a second time to load the
next 6000 users (with 6000 already in the database), the speed is comparable
to the first run - in other words the speed is the same regardless of how
many users are already in the database.

Any suggestions as to why this process would get slower and slower as
it progresses?

Thanks,
Steve