[rt-users] Re: Recommendation for upgrade and move

Carl Vincent C.A.Vincent at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Jul 5 07:17:13 EDT 2004

>Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:20:39 -0400
>From: Joseph_Micciche at Progressive.com
>Subject: [rt-users] Recommendation for upgrade and move
>To: rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
>
>We are upgrading our RT3.0.7_01 instance to RT3.2 shortly. We are also
>moving to a fresh new server, from Solaros to RHEL, and newer
>version of
>MySQL. I wanted to check with the list on recommended approach.
>
>I planned on doing a fresh install on the new server - MySQL, RT,
>everything. Then mysqldump the existing RT db on the old
>server and restore
>to the new one.
>
>I am hoping that I don't have to upgrade the old RT first? Any other
>considerations?

I did a very similar thing myself, except that I treated the database
move separately to the to the RT system move.
I installed MySQL on my new box, did a mysqldump of the data, imported
it and got the old RT system pointing at the new database server. Once
this was all OK, I then looked at moving RT.
In this way, when you install RT, you can apply the upgrade scripts when
you've done the install to modify the db schema.

Cheers
Carl