[rt-users] mod_perl or FastCGI?

Thomas Herrmann thomas.herrmann at teleteach.net
Thu Jul 8 02:50:41 EDT 2004

Hi Matthew,

>  I'm about to undertake looking at rt3 again, and wondering which people
> recommend,
>
> Apache 1.3 / mod_perl
>
> Apache 1.3 / FastCGI
>
> Apache 2.x / FastCGI
>

> This will be installed on Solaris.

we did run Apache 1.3 / mod_perl (but under Linux), which ran into the problem
of hanging httpd's with 100% CPU usage. Since we switched to Apache 1.3 /
FastCGI, we don't encounter such strange probs. AFAIK, mod_perl runs in the
Apache program space whereas FastCGI runs as separate process, so mod_perl is
probably able to crash Apache.

I'm also running an Apache 2.0 / FastCGI config on my Notebook (also SuSE
Linux) without problems, so i would generally recommmend FastCGI.

Kind regards
Thomas

--
Teleteach GmbH
Jeschkenstr. 49, 82538 Geretsried, Germany