[rt-users] How do you use Queues?

Brett Barnhart BrettB at hkusa.com
Fri Jul 9 13:11:36 EDT 2004

We've done several different types.

At first, we used one queue per group with custom fields to seperate types
of requests.

Think HelpDesk with a Custom field for Computer problem or Network Issue

But we changed that to an initial Queue of Help Desk with seperate queues
for each type of problem.

One person or group sorts through new tickets in Help Desk and places them
in the appropriate sub-queue (or creates tickets in those queues referring
back to initial ticket)

This can be very useful for a number of reason. Perhaps 1 Help Desk ticket
requires action from various departments.

For example: New Employee
1 ticket in Hardware request to purchase or prepare computer
1 ticket in Software request to purchase appropriate licenses
1 ticket in network to make the employee login
1 ticket in Office Manager queue to find office space and outfit
etc etc

 Makes it very easy to keep track of what needs to be done and who needs to
do it.

Brett Barnhart