[rt-users] How do you use Queues?

Charles Smith charon at cyc.com
Fri Jul 9 15:27:50 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 12:01, Bret Martin wrote:
> I'm curious to know how others use Queues.  It was a bit hard to do a
> comprehensive search on this somewhat vague subject in the list
> archives, but from what I gather from the searches I did, there seem to
> be three basic models that are widely used:

We are a small SysAdmin team, and we use them for categorizing tickets
on multiple levels.

First, we have an "Incoming" queue, where all new tickets to us go.
Since users tend not to be trustworthy of placing a ticket in the right
queue themselves, we watch the incoming queue and put each ticket in the
right place.

Next we have queues based on the type of work to be done. More
specifically, for the timeline they need to be done in. We have a
general queue, where most open tickets go (Deadline: ASAP), one for
scheduled new hires (A Specific Date), one for projects (Things people
want but don't need) and so on.

Then, we have additional queues for other groups in the company who take
requests. For instance, we have a group who builds executables of our
software for various platforms, so we set up an alias to create them a
ticket in a "Builds" queue, which only they can see, rather than people
just emailing them.

We of course further categorize tickets with several custom fields, too.
But mostly we use queues so we can look at a glance and see what needs
to be done now, or in a week, and if I'm busy which ones can I ignore?

-Charles