[rt-users] dumpfile-to-rt-3.0 problem: parser: unterminated quotedstring

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Jul 13 18:05:26 EDT 2004

> > somewhere in the RT library (probably $att->Content() do that???). So
> > dumpfile-to-rt-3.0 have to encode it back to base64 to be able to store it
> > to the database.
> >
> > In this case the problem must be in this piece of code of the
> > rt-2.0-to-dumpfile script:

I'm not sure why we're doing that. Of course, it was "quickie" code
written over a year ago. But it still should have had a comment for the
special case. I'm sorry :/

> > --
> > Alexei Barantsev
> I'm having a similar problem moving data from RT2.0.13 to RT3.2.0 using
> Oracle as a backend.
> The same problem, data in RT2 is base64 encoded in the database, which
> is regulated through the BinarySafeBlobs boolean in SearchBuilder. If
> set to true it will store binaries in binary else it will base64 encode
> them and store them in ASCII.
> If you read through Attachment.pm in lib/RT there it will say that it
> will decode base64 before returning it to the client app in this case
> rt2-to-dumpfile which will store it decoded into the dumpfiles. There it
> will also store that it is base64 encoded data which is not correct.

Right. that was the special casing in the dumper code. Which you might
want to try disabling.

> Further when this data is imported using dumpfile-to-rt3 I think
> something else goes wrong
> - it should honor either the fact that the encoding is no longer base64
> thus ignoring the explicit encoding-type.

> - or maybe it shouldn't use Import but Create in which case it may
> correctly figure out that it is binary and needs to be encoded.

It may be that you want to patch Import to be more sensible abouut the
data it gets.

> Looking at some code it looks like there is something that might be
> usable to both of us namely: RT::AlwaysUseBase64.

I'm not convinced that that will do the right thing for you.

> I'm going to investigate tomorrow if either BLOB's in Oracle work or if
> I can force base64 encoding which it already should do according to
> SearchBuilder/Handle/Oracle.pm

We sepnt a bunch of time with some oracle consultants, who were pretty
sure that switching to blobs would lose us critical functionality. It
may have been searching related.
	Jesse