[rt-users] Questions and LDAP

Tomas A. P. Olaj tomas.olaj at usit.uio.no
Wed Jul 14 07:41:21 EDT 2004

Hello,

I'm new on this list. USIT (Center for Information Technology Services)
will use RT as their new support tool for requesting users (students and
staff) at University of Oslo. It has been a long selection process among
many alternative tools. Our staff superiors has decided that RT is
probably the best tool to fulfill our needs.

There has been put down a project group to develop our needs for this
Ticketing System of people from different departments. I've been selected
to do the technical installation and "low-level" configuration.

I work in the Applications Management Group and also the Database Administration
Group. In addition, I'm dependent on the Unix Management Group, Web Group
and the Postmaster Group. Welcome to the Bureaucracy! ;-) Luckily, I'm
free'er to maintain the installation myself.

Our old test installation was of the following configuration:

    * RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 (RHES30)
    * RT 3.0.10
    * Perl 5.8.3 (and latest CPAN modules)
    * A working mod_perl: mod_perl-1.99_12
    * PostgreSQL 7.3.5
    * Apache 2 (RedHat RPM's)
	httpd-2.0.46-32.ent
	httpd-devel-2.0.46-32.ent
	mod_ssl-2.0.46-32.ent
    * Exim-4.x

Some questions and experienced issues:

1)
POSTGRES:
---------
cpan> install DBD::Pg
	Path to pg_config? /postgres/pg_cluster01/data
	Enter a valid PostgreSQL major version number 7
	Enter a valid PostgreSQL minor version number 3
	Enter a valid PostgreSQL patch version number 5
	Enter a valid PostgreSQL include directory
/local/opt/postgresql/include
	Enter a valid PostgreSQL library directory
/local/opt/postgresql/lib

	look DBD::Pg
	bash-2.05b# export DBI_DSN=dbi:Pg:dbname=template1
	bash-2.05b# export DBI_USER=postgres
	make test

		1 of 92 errors while testing DBD::Pg:

<http://gborg.postgresql.org/pipermail/dbdpg-general/2004-April/000906.html>
<http://gborg.postgresql.org/pipermail/dbdpg-general/2004-April.txt>

The test will fault, but we selected to ignore this as irrelevant.
A newer version (maybe it's out - haven't checked yet) v. 1.33 would solve
this error. Current version used is 1.32.

	make install
	exit
	quit

2)
The distributed Norwegian translation is mildly terrible. I believe we
have a better diff of no.po, but we are not sure yet to use English
language default, since we got some terminology problems for our users.

The browser detects language, and my question is if it's possible to
_force_ a language to be used; e.g. English language? Would that be
removing all the other language modules?

Another reason than terminology is that the no.po will not make a 100%
complete translation, and we will probably get a mixed language in RT. But
it's not decided yet if we want to ditch Norwegian language.

	cd
	/usit/tg10/site/rt3/lib/RT/I18N/
	cp no.po no.po.orig

	Use our own diff of no.po.

3)
UiO uses Cerebrum project "http://sourceforge.net/projects/cerebrum"
(developed at UiO) as their User Administrative System. We want to
syncronize LDAP into RT. Can You recommend some HOWTO to solve this? We
wabt to define in LDAP who is RT-admin's or not.

I'm interested in all hints and issues about this, and howto merge
existing RT users in such a way that we don't get automatically created
duplicates or more of the same users in RT. We want to force the userdata
in LDAP into our RT, e.g.

LDAP says username tomaso has tomas.olaj at usit.uio.no as e-mail, and
probably tomas.olaj at usit.uio.no will be the username in RT, and if
tomaso sends from another domain (other e-mail), no new user will not be
created.

4)
Is it possible to escalate an incomming request to another RT-server
elsewhere? RT-servers who "see" each other.

5)
What's the proper way to clean up users, groups and queues in RT?

---

Sorry for asking to much. More questions will still come! :-)  We want to
help and improve RT from our side too.

Good Work with RT! And we wanted very much to be in Frankfurt for the
tutorial, but didn't make it. Hopefully there will be more tutorials in
the future.

-->

Other:

We have a test-bed and production environment for RT. Next installation
will be 3.2.x. We're working with standardize our installation, among
others delegating responsibility for software like Perl, Apache, etc... to
the different management groups. Most software will be precompiled in
STORE; <http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~arnej/store/storedoc.html>. Version
control and security is important. Development, test, and production of RT
is a must.

I'm not a perl guru myself, so I was wondering if it's possible to force
using a version of a perl module in CPAN (sorry if this is more perl
related)? We cannot mix versions if something happends.

cheers,
Tomas