[rt-users] Re: RT install Mac OS X

Kaylea Hascall khascall at midway.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 3 18:10:29 EDT 2004

Sounds like Diana has a helpful volunteer, so I won't address all of her
inquiries -- but, Diana, let me know if I can offer any extra advice.

Some quick notes which might be of interest....

My experience installing RT on OS X 10.3 was really really smooth & speedy --
you don't need OS X Server, just the desktop version of OS X is enough, but
it helps a *ton* to have the developer kit installed, AKA XCode. Install it
first if you don't have it -- you may've gotten the CD in with your OS X CD,
otherwise it's downloadable from Apple. I did have to google for the fixes to
one or two weird error messages afterwards.

I downloaded mysql from mysql.com rather than using a pre-installed version,
but the package is a fast, double-click install.

I relied on this super website to get Apache and mod_perl working happily:
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/11/05/apache_osx.html.

I relied on this super website to get postfix dealing with e-mail happily:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031025022626398

I ended up setting up postfix to use RBLs to prevent spam from clogging up
RT, since we don't have any spam filters at the border to the campus
network.  I used instructions from

http://jimsun.linxnet.com/misc/postfix-anti-UCE.txt

-- however, this website is not as cookbooklike as the previous two.

Oh, and the RT docs mention setting up the default CPAN bundle in perl, which
is an easy step to overlook because it's such a brief mention, but it was
totally key for me. (from Terminal: perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::CPAN').
It asks you a lot of questions, but the defaults are pretty good, and it will
automate a lot of the rest of the install -- I only had to install 2 or 3
modules by hand.

Hope this helps!!
-Kaylea
Kaylea Hascall   |   (773) 834-4117 or khascall at uchicago.edu
TASC: Technology, Architecture, & Service Coordination
Assistant Director: Academic Technologies, Learning Environments Group
NSIT, University of Chicago