[rt-users] Escalating ticket by customer

Sebastian Flothow lists at flothow.de
Wed Jun 9 05:45:12 EDT 2004

Am 7. Jun 2004 um 00:50 Uhr schrieb Alex S. Burba:
> A simple customer sends the request, support/NOC creates a ticket and
> openes it, and so that customer gets a message saying "Your problem
> has got ticket number XXX ...". Ok, for some time the customer is
> satisfied.
> A few hours have passed - no furhter messages have followed. The
> customer is worried that there is no new information (progress) about
> his trouble, he understands that sending another request with the same
> problem is a bad idea, so he needs some kind of way to escalate his
> own ticket to attract more attention to it of the support/NOC
> personal.

I'm not convinced this is a good idea - every customer will consider
his own tickets the most important ones, so you'll end up with all (or
most) tickets escalated to highest priority, and your situation isn't
better than before (except for being annoyed by the escalations,
maybe).

I'd rather clue customers in that there is a finite number of humans
dealing with the tickets, so things may take a while occasionally.
(This seems obvious, but some people tend to mistake ticketing systems
for automagic problem solving machines.)

Also, escalating a ticket will satisfy the customers only for a short
time, as they get just another automatic response. What they actually
want is a reply from a human, at least a confirmation that the problem
is being worked on. Thus, you could make it a policy that if a ticket
is (say) 4 hours old, the owner should reply with a short summary of
his troubleshooting attempts.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Flothow
sebastian at flothow.de

Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.