[rt-users] Preserving requestor/user information on a per-ticket basis

Michael S. Liebman m-liebman at northwestern.edu
Mon Jun 14 21:14:55 EDT 2004

At 03:53 PM 6/14/2004, Melanie Humphrey wrote:
>I am a UNIX sysadmin, not an SQL programmer, so I appeal to those on the
>list with database skills. What do y'all think?

The consensus here seems to be that modifying the database schema is not
the best idea. The API is the best way to get at data. Going directly to
the database can be unsafe. That said, if your just going to be querying,
no harm can come from that.

The problem with modifying the database schema comes when it is time to
upgrade. You may run into issues if the RT schema changes. It is much
harder to merge database schemas than it is to merge code.

You've mapped out a pretty good RTish solution to the problem that
shouldn't be too difficult to implement. If I was in your shoes, I'd go
that route. The API should run just fine under Win32 and you only need to
install the dependencies for the bits you will use.

Michael

Michael S. Liebman                      m-liebman at northwestern.edu
                 http://msl521.freeshell.org/
"I have vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
        -Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid"