[rt-users] mod_perl vs fastcgi, which performs best, which is more scalable?

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Tue Jun 15 20:26:45 EDT 2004

Jesse Vincent wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:14:14PM -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
>

>>3. How aware are the RT developers of issues later down the road when
>>the database gets huge? In other words, is RT3 as optimal as it can be
>>as far as making the db queries as efficient as possible, or is there a
>>lot of work and improvment that can/will be done in future versions?
>>

>What's huge? We've got sites with 750,000 tickets in their database.
>Each and every site will have different scalabiltiy concerns. If your
>site is getting huge, you're going to want to spend time tuning the
>system to meet your needs or have us do so on your behalf.

I'm not sure how big our instance will get, but I was concerned about my
colleagues issues with the slow load times.  They may (in fact probably
are) be due to his particular hardware setup, but I just wanted to do
some fact finding so I could have optimal setup from the get-go, instead
of finding out 6 months from now that I need to switch to mod_perl to
keep the performance level up. I don't mind tuning things to get things
running optimally (in fact I enjoy it!)...just wondering what other RT
users (that have large dbs) experiences are like.

P.S.  RT is great :-)

-Charles Jones