[rt-users] RE: dumpfile-to-rt-3.0 choking on attachment

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Jun 18 13:00:59 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:48:09AM -0700, Robert Joost wrote:
> RT is a great Open Source tool; unfortunately, if I can't upgrade
> without paying thousands of dollars then I can't use it. I'm not asking
> for help in customizing this tool; however, a decent Open Source tool
> needs to be upgradable without pulling teeth.
> I am decent with perl and databases and all the tools used with RT but I
> don't have the time to dissect this tool and beg for help in terms of
> doing a simple upgrade.
> If my company needs to pay thousands of dollars to do things like
> upgrading, then they'll get Remedy and be done with it.

Rob,

	I'm somewhat confused. You sent two messages earlier today
explaining that when you try to migrate from RT 2.0 to a version of RT
3.0 that's almost a year out of date, you run into problems.   Certainly
nobody from Best Practical told you that you need to pay thousands of
dollars, or in fact any money at all to upgrade from RT 2 to RT 3.
Certainly, it hasn't been an unacceptably long time to wait for other
users of RT to reply to your mail. (Many of them are located in the US
and are probably just reading their "morning" email right now.)

If you can't afford to pay for help and can't work through a problem
on your own, then sending irate, impatient mail to the community of other
users of the tool isn't going to help you or anyone else out.

> Otherwise, it was a great tool, a plus in Open Source.

Thanks.