[rt-users] RE: Configurable Status

Richard Ellis Richard.Ellis at Sun.COM
Thu Jun 24 04:34:50 EDT 2004

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:08:32 -0400
> From: Jesse <jesse at bestpractical.com>
> Subject: [rt-users] Request for comments: Configurable Status
> To: rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
>

> In the traditional RT model, the "Status" field is a simple, limited
> list of possible states that a ticket can be in. Roughly: untouched,
> active, temporarily inactive, permanently inactive.  For more advanced
> workflow, we've recommended that users create custom fields or use
> multiple queues to represent different workflow stages.  Of late,
> there's been an upswing in the number of users who would rather simply
> modify the existing "status" field.
>
> Would a simple editable per-queue ordered list of possible statuses
> (stati?) be sufficient for your needs?  Do you need to control which
> status transitions are allowed? Do you need to be able to lock down
> certain statuses such that they're only selectable by specific users?
>

> 	Best,
> 	Jesse

Custom Status messages IMHO is a nice to have. Almost any business processes can be adapted to fit into the categories available. Indeed, we have used them to help define and streamline the workflow which was in danger of drowning under its own weight. The restricted choices have crystalised the whole procedure from receipt to closure of a ticket.

The ability to add a limited number to the default ones may well appeal to a new audience, but adding more complex processes to the back end of Status may just make it even more difficult for non Perl people to understand and potentially scare off those same new auudiences.

Rik