[rt-users] Request for comments: Configurable Status

Dave Dennis dmd at speakeasy.org
Thu Jun 24 16:00:45 EDT 2004

The trouble as I see it with this approach, which we discussed in house, is that
a ticket can get lost fairly easily as it traverses queues.  By "lost" I mean
that something entered into one queue by the original requestor will then
get processed through to its 'pending' queue, something's done on it,
then it eventually winds up in the 'resolved' queue.  But unless you look
for the ticket by "requestor" or by a specific memory for the ticket number,
the ticket has no easy way, by date perhaps, to be located out of a crowd
several days later.

In our workflow, tickets come in from customers, potential customers, or from
other vendors or people we buy stuff from, and the ticket goes into the queue
that it fits for what type of work it is -- systems work, dev work, network work
or IT.  since a large number of our tickets can require interfacing to vendors
we created a separate queue 'vendors' for tickets that were pending waiting for
vendor callback.  But this started to be bad, cause Joe creates a ticket on
monday in Systems, and on Tuesday it gets stalled into Vendors, now its thursday
and Joe can't find his original Systems ticket.

If you see what we mean here....

Thanks, sorry for long winded...

+ Dave Dennis
+ Seattle, WA