[rt-users] Archiving and Retrieval of data in RT

Cerion Armour-Brown cerion at terpsichore.ws
Mon Mar 1 08:05:45 EST 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 12:53, Ritu Khetan wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>    What is the best way to archive data from RT (using Postgres) say on
> a yearly basis. However, this data should be available at any point of
> time of read/search if required.
>
> Say, for e.g. -
>  If I have 5 years data in RT, which I do not require everyday, I would
> like to archive it yearly so that it does not slow the performance of my
> system. However, at the same time, if I have a request to look for some
> information in the archived data, I should be able to look at it
> immediately.

Do the database archiving by hand/script... just setup an identical rt3
database, dump the databases, do diffs and add new records to rt3_archive...
or something to that effect.
As for access, depends how 'immediate'... if you can handle having to change
$DatabaseName in RT_SiteConfig.pm, and then reloading RT in the browser, that
should work.
If that's not immediate enough, you could set up a second RT instance with a
different $DatabaseName, plus a virtual host so you can access this
rt_archive instance 'immediately' - on a different web address.
Cerion