[rt-users] Easiest distro for RT 3?

Chris Poupart chris.poupart at mcgill.ca
Tue Mar 2 13:55:27 EST 2004

Florian Weimer wrote:
> Chris Poupart wrote:
>

>>Florian Weimer wrote:

>>>RT 3 runs best with Perl 5.8.3, which pretty much rules out using Debian
>>>stable.
>>
>>Perl 5.8.3 should be in Sarge (testing).  Sarge is on the verge of
>>becoming stable, and with luck will be there by summer.  I would suggest
>>subscribing to the Debian Security mailing list, and running Sarge.
>>Then, when it goes stable, you are set.
>

> Fortunately, I'm not the initial poster. 8-)
>
> Your advice is somewhat misguided.  If I used testing, I'd have to take
> of security updates myself.  Among other things, this requires that I'd
> be able to apply security patches to Debian packages on my own...

Damn "reply" instead of "reply-all".

Yes, you would have to watch security updates yourself, but soon (I
hope!) Sarge will be stable, and then it will be getting nice security
updates.  But you know, I still watch for security updates for my Stable
machines.

So, if not a pure Sarge, what about a Woody/Sarge mix?  Install Woody,
then add the testing lines in source.list and apt-get the packages
needed for RT 3.  Do a dist-upgrade when Sarge moves to Stable.